In the guise of a lady of the Eighteenth Century


posted by Alice Brutti on , , , , , , , , ,

No comments


Chi mi conosce (e d’ora in poi anche chi legge!) sa quanto io ami le feste in maschera! Lo scorso weekend ho partecipato a un party mascherato organizzato da amici. Il tema era libero (in passato sono stata ad alcune divertentissime cene a tema e il bello era proprio realizzare, spesso a tempo di record, un costume che riprendesse il clima della serata) e dopo svariate idee e tante prove outfit (non vi dico quanti periodi storici ho "indossato" nei giorni precedenti, prima di scegliere il mio costume!) la scelta è caduta sul mio adorato XVIII secolo!





Il Settecento è un periodo storico che adoro e, per il mio gusto, ritengo che per la storia dell’abbigliamento femminile sia anche stato il più bello e variegato, nella levità dei suoi colori pastello, nella pomposità delle stoffe, voluminose e fruscianti, in un tripudio di ricami, ruches, pizzi e applicazioni.

“Bibbia della moda” alla mano (parlo di La moda dal XVIII al XX secolo pubblicato nella collana "Icons" di Taschen) non ho potuto che farmi ispirare dalle bellissime illustrazioni degli abiti della collezione del Kyoto Costume Institute. Ma la mia mente andava anche a due film che negli ultimi anni ho amato moltissimo: il mirabolante e colorato – ma attraversato da un sottile filo di tristezza – Marie Antoinette diretto da Sofia Coppola (2006) e l’intenso The Duchess diretto da Saul Dibb (2008).

Ricordo che la visione della pellicola con Kirsten Dunst nei panni della giovane Delfina, poi Regina di Francia, fu un po’ una delusione all’inizio. Mi aspettavo qualcosa di diverso, ma capii anche che sarebbe stato un lungometraggio che avrei imparato ad amare col tempo, e difatti a tutt’oggi penso di averlo visto e stravisto, incantata ogni volta (ma fu così fin dalla prima visione) dai stupendi costumi, opera di Milena Canonero.
Di Georgiana Spencer, sposata Cavendish e divenuta Duchessa di Devonshire, non sapevo nulla prima della visione del film a lei dedicato. Ma tanto mi ha intrigato questa pellicola (e che dire della bellissima ricostruzione dei costumi d’epoca fatta da Michael O’Connor?) che sono corsa a leggerne la biografia, scoprendo così una donna interessante, dalla personalità  assai complessa. Come forse erano tante donne della buona società, che in pieno Illuminismo potevano finalmente leggere, studiare, specializzarsi in alcune materie e… parlare. Al pari degli uomini.

Insomma, due bei film, con costumi da favola. A modo mio ho preso un po’ dell’uno e un po’ dell’altro, ma soprattutto ho preso tanto dai “bauli delle nonne”!!! Ed è questo il bello delle feste in maschera cui mi capita di partecipare: provare a realizzare un costume un po’ con quel che si ha (e, nel mio caso, anche con qualche buon metro di tulle comprato e cucito all’ultimo minuto!) e con un pizzico di inventiva…



Kirsten Dunst in Marie Antoinette (by Sofia Coppola, 2006)



Dresses of the eighteenth century from the collection of The Kyoto Costume Institute
published in  Fashion - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century by Taschen


Keira Knightley and  Hayley Atwell in The Duchess (by Saul Dibb, 2008)




Piaciuto il risultato?
A me sì! Adoro ogni volta calarmi nei panni di qualcun altro, e indossare gonne a paniere, crinoline, corsetti, pizzi, trine e fiocchi…

A quando la prossima festa? ;)




Those who know me (and from now on even those of you who read!) knows how much I love the costume parties! Last weekend I attended a masked party organized by friends. The theme of the party was free (before I went to some hilarious themed dinners and it was just nice to make, often in record time, a costume that took back atmosphere of the evening) and after testing many different ideas and outfits (there say how many periods of history I have "worn" during the previous days, before choosing my costume!) the choice fell on my beloved eighteenth century!

The eighteenth century is an era that I love and, for my taste, I think that, in the history of women's clothing, it has also been the most beautiful and varied, in the levity of his pastels, in the pomposity of the fabrics, voluminous and rustling, in a blaze of embroidery, ruffles, lace and applications.

"Fashion bible" in my hand (I'm talking about Fashion from the eighteenth to the twentieth century in the “Icons” series published by Taschen) I could only make me beautiful illustrations inspired by the dresses of The Kyoto Costume Institute’s collection. But my mind also went to two movies that I loved so much in recent years: the amazing and colorful - but crossed by a thin thread of sadness - Marie Antoinette directed by Sofia Coppola (2006) and the intense The Duchess directed by Saul Dibb (2008).

I remember watching the film with Kirsten Dunst in the role of the young Dauphine, then Queen of France, at first disappointed me a bit. I expected something different, but I also realized that it would be a feature film that I learned to love over time, and in fact I still think I have watched it many times, enchanted every time (but was so far from the first sight) with its beautiful costumes, made by Milena Canonero.
About Georgiana Spencer, who became Duchess of Devonshire, I knew nothing before seeing the film dedicated to her. But this movie intrigued me so much (and what about the reconstruction of the beautiful costumes made ​​by Michael O'Connor?) that I rushed to read her biography, and discovered an interesting woman, distinguished by a very complex personality. How many women were perhaps the good society, and in height of the Enlightenment could finally read, study, specialize in certain subjects and ... talk. Like men.

So, two good movies, with fabulous costumes. In my own way I've got a bit 'one and a little' more, but above all I have taken so much from "grandmothers' trunks"! And that's the beauty of masquerades which I happen to take part: try to make a costume with what you have (in my case even with some good meters of tulle sewn to the last minute!) and a pinch of creativity...

Did you like the result?
I do! Every time I adore myself in the shoes of someone else, and wear skirts basket, crinolines, corsets, lace, lace and bows ...

When is the next party? ;)

 


text & pics by Alice Brutti

others pics from:

Leave a Reply

Let me know what do you think about...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...